RSS and WAP - another RSS question

Sean McGrath digitome at iol.ie
Sun Nov 28 10:11:22 GMT 1999

At 11:25 AM 11/27/99 -0800, Dave Winer wrote:
>Sure, I'll take a stab at it.
>
>See the commercials on TV for wireless phones that double as web browsers?
>
>Not much room in that space. Room for one headline and perhaps a channel
>name.

Right. It seems to me that an <abstract> element or something similar
in RSS would be a great benefit. When viewed on a first generation
WAP phone, the user would view the abstract. When viewed on a desktop
browser, the user would also read the abstract but most probably
click through to the full HTML page.

>Anyway, I don't know what Sean has in mind, but this seems like a no-brainer
>app for RSS, or something doing pretty much the same thing. (Reinvented
>wheels.)

I think that RSS could really jumpstart the content-to-WAP-phone
area. All I want it a teeny-weeny abstract field...

regards,

<Sean uri="http://www.digitome.com/sean.html">
Developers Day co-Chair WWW9, April 2000, Amsterdam
<uri>http://www.www9.org</uri>
</Sean>