[SML] i18n Name support?

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Sun Nov 28 11:12:58 GMT 1999

Since there have been some concerns about the name EBNF rule,
I thought the topic deserves a separate thread.

XML's Name production rule is rather hairy.  Just looking at
the production rules for components of Name (BaseChar,
Ideographic, CombiningChar, Digit, Extender)is enough to give
one headaches.  XML parsers I have seen uses the target
platform's Unicode support to deal with it.  I doubt one
can rely on all SML platforms to have such support.

The question is this: do we support i18n names and if so
do we follow the path taken by XML or open it up to make
implementation easier?  By opening it up, I mean excluding
only the reserved characters ('<', '>', '&', etc.) and
whitespace characters.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com