About sml and internationalization

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at ebt.com
Sun Nov 28 21:35:35 GMT 1999

> An element name is not like a keyword in a programming
> language.  It is more like a variable name or field name.
> These have much more visibility to ordinary users than
> keywords in languages.

This is very true. I saw a programming language once that
used Japanese for keywords... even the Japanese folk found it
a bit hard to deal with. Japanese programmers
(and for that matter, programmers in general) use their
native language for variable names, even in languages that do
not support their encoding (Japanese programmers use Romanji).
The same is true for markup.