[SML] Hardware resources. ( Whether to support Attribute or not?)

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Sun Nov 28 21:51:44 GMT 1999

>  >On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
> >> S-XSLT should be written anyway. XT will hardly fit into
> >> cell phone ;-)
>
> It would be interesting to know how much code can be fitted into a
> cell-phone.  Does anyone actually know?

It depends.  I suggest not to get concentrated  on the particular
"cell-phone", but to think about 'some device with low memory'.

Before we got PC - many things ( like compilers, OS e t.c)
were already in place on big computers.  Then PC appears -
and we need to calculate memory and use  assembly again.
OK, we have PC. Everything is fine, memory is cheap after
a years of progress we have UNIX running on PC. Then we got,
for example,  VeriPhone POS ( to process credit cards ) - and
we are again in the world of low-level programming with limited
resources e t.c.

I think this is endless process, because it was endless before.

Maybe something very important happened and now there is some
way to be more happy about the future? I don't think so.

> It seems that a cell phone can fit at least a WAP system including a
> little ECMAScript interpreter and networking.  There are WAPphones
> on sale in HongKong, so they can fit the glyphs for
> 3,000-7000 characters too, though perhaps some smarts are used
> to squeeze them in by components.

But there will always be some device with limited resources.
I don't know why it always happens that programms need
more resources than hardware could give and I don't
understand why it should change. I don't know why
Java VM is not already embedded into every device.

Maybe hardware vendors have some reason for it ?

Not talking about the history of  Next computer ...  wasn't it
perfect? ... but too expensive .... I think the same is with any
hardware, including cell-phone. So there will be for sure
some cell-phones not running ECMAScript interpreter.

The question is what framework would fit  better into
'cell-phone'  - XML-based or SML-based.

I think that because people from that hardware world
are already implementing the subsets of XML - it
should be taken into account.

Actualy, getting SML in place may help  *XML*  to get
better market share.  SML could be kind of
XML for very-very-very thin clients ;-)

Alfred parser showed that XML parser could be small.
Unfortunately,  *only*  the parser may be not enough.

I want  XT to run everywhere ;-)

Rgds.Paul.