[SML] i18n Name support?

Joe Lapp jlapp at webmethods.com
Sun Nov 28 23:54:59 GMT 1999

At 04:06 PM 11/28/1999 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>[...]
>The main issue is that if combining characters are allowed
>to be first in a name, then they will attach to the <
>character instead of standing alone, by Unicode rules.

Ah, so that's why.  But why should SML enforce these rules?
Why doesn't Unicode disallow it?  Why did XML go this route?

I'm all for the simplification.  It's hell on performance
to have to make those checks for every character read.
--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Senior Engineer        and build the Internet's business-to-business