[SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Mon Nov 29 01:27:30 GMT 1999

> I understand the problem better after reading other people's responses.
> What threw me was the analogy to object data and behavior, which I don't
> think is the right analogy.
>
> In each of these example elements

>   <lineitem quantity="3">XYZ</lineitem>
>
> 'lineitem' has two properties: model and quantity.  It happens that in the
> last example the model is not labelled 'model'.  The label is missing,
> since strictly speaking XYZ is not the lineitem.
>
> If we throw away the quantity attribute we are left with...
>
>   <lineitem>XYZ</lineitem>
>
> XYZ may indeed represent the line item, but we could have chosen a more
> specific word...
>
>   <model>XYZ</model>
>
> I'd argue that if an element has attributes in addition to text content,
> then the attributes together with the content define the element, and the
> content must therefore be yet one more property of the element.  The
> property simply has not been named.

.... I think, <PCDATA> could be a name of such a  'hidden property' property ? ;-)

> You might consider that a shortcoming of XML.

I don't understand where is a shortcoming here .... I think nobody knows
for sure what will happen with some 'plain' PCDATA field in the future - it
may easily become mixed content, so considering PCDATA to be
a special case of mixed content looks reasonable and consistent to me.

But I agree, when you have PCDATA but  *not*  mixed content it usualy
means that you'l better to specify some new element / attribute ...
Do I understand your point ?

I don't  understand  what to do with such a knowledge ...

> By allowing attributes it allows elements to have unnamed properties.
> I'm having trouble interpreting this as an advantage that attributes give.

> Were there never attributes, every property would have a label.

> (Unless there is mixed content, which prompts my next thread...)

> I think the solution for SML/XML conversion is give this property an
> explicit name.

What is the *problem* you want to solve ?

valid SML as well.

Or I'm missing something in SML ?

Or you are saying PCDATA should be restricted from SML, and
only mixed content should remain?

What is the purpose ? ... Actualy, maybe there is some ....

I don't want to drop mixed content from SML. It will
kill the markup abilities and I don't see any reasons why
it should be killed.  Maybe I'm missing something here.

Rgds.Paul.