[SML] Mapping between SML and XML

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Mon Nov 29 03:27:15 GMT 1999

>Should we make it a requirement that it be possible to map XML
>into SML?

Yes.  'possible' is the key word though.  I expect that a
separate spec will introduce some tags to address XML to
SML bridging issues.

>If so, what features of an XML document shall be mapped?  Are
>entity references lost?  Boundaries between CDATA sections?
>Comments?  PIs?

One approach is to cover all the XML features in one spec,
basically a catalog of tags mapping to each XML features
with some simple rules on how to create your own set.
This spec should be followed by another spec that
outlines some common sets each addressed to solve
different needs.

>To what degree should the mapping be reversible?

What would prevent the mapping from being non-reversible?

>If we decide that this is a requirement, I suggest we use XML
>namespaces to make it work.  That would probably mean that SML
>would define a standard set of namespaces for these extra
>pieces.  But I wouldn't want SML to give these pieces any
>semantics in the context of SML; they would only serve to make
>XML survive passage through an SML engine.

I think one namespace should be enough for XML bridge tag set
unless I missed something.  This is reminiscent of XHTML chaos.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com