[SML] Data Markup Language?

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Mon Nov 29 11:42:34 GMT 1999

> If we decide that SML is for data and not for publishing, should we then
> rename SML to Data Markup Language (DML)?

Data vs Publishing? How do you define the boundaries there? We're commonly
taking SGML/XML markup of 'publishing' data (abstracts, titles, authors,
etc)
and using this data as XML messages ('data') between systems. So we
seem to be lying on the boundaries here.

> The real answer to this question depends on the audience that is
interested in
> SML, I think.  So it would probably be sufficient to refute my suggestion
by
> having a large enough group of people express interest in SML for
publishing.

What is SML about anyway? What are the benefits beyond reductionism?
Hard to be interested when you don't know what its for.

Personally I'm waiting to see what APIs might be layered on top of
SML, and then possibly retrofit them to an XML parser and then be on my
way...

L.