Architectural Forms and Oracle (or SIM) [was Re: "Multiple" Namespaces? (but NOT for HTML)]

John Robert Gardner jrgardn at emory.edu
Mon Nov 29 15:42:43 GMT 1999

Rather than strictly re-visit the multiple namespaces issue (or detract
from the SML/RTSML/XML/WAP/RSS etc. threads), I wanted to request if list
members can allow me to inquire further regarding a possible solution
ssuggested by Paul as to my question some time back, viz. the following
(question follows this short snip-set of preceding discussion):

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Paul Prescod wrote:

> John Robert Gardner wrote:
> >
> > <GoalScenario>
> > Heinrich at Humboldt U. in Berlin is dilligently searching the world's
> > various library resources with his Dublin-Core-Based engine for
> > <Creator>Tillich</Creator> and we want his DC system to transparently find
> > the wealth of Tillich articles we'd have online.
> > </GoalScenario>

> Yes, architectural forms work fine with XML now. But to some degree you
> must choose your solution based on the software available. There are
> various toolkits that are archform aware but I don't know of any
> A mythical architectural form-smart search engine would "pretend" to do
> that conversion, in real-time, when the query was done and cache the
> results intelligently. But such a thing doesn't exist as a general tool.
>
> If is is structured property name-value pairs then you need something
> object orientish like an RDF engine or an object database. You need name
> aliasing but it needs to be hierarchical.
>
> If the proper model is elements within elements then you need an
> XML-specific solution like architectural forms. That's going to be
> harder to find.

Paul's suggestion of Arch. forms is making more and more sense,
but--accordingly--it's getting me toward a little on the worrisome side as
to supporting software.  I've yet to begin puttering with PL/SQL for our
current Oracle setup and, while we're preparing soon to seriously look at
SIM, I'm wondering if anyone out there has suggestions of possible
software we could/should be looking at (Steve Muench on this?) for working
with ORacle and Arch. Forms for the time being?

I've looked at Eliot Kimber's article ofn SGML Architectures at
http://www.isogen.com/papers/archintro.html and noted Clark's SP works
with Arch Forms, beyond htis, however, I'm uncertain as to where to
proceed/turn.

Suggestions?

Thank you very much,

jr