(retry) Re: [SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

Sean McGrath digitome at iol.ie
Mon Nov 29 20:33:45 GMT 1999

[John Cowan]

>> This is for sure not XML/SGML, but it generalizes the recursive
>> pattern.  If you want an attribute on the attribute, you write:
>>
>> 	<element <att <att-of-att>subvalue</att-of-att>>val</att>>  ...

[Clark C. Evan]

>Thanks John.  Didn't even think of this.  It would
>definately allow for recursive attributes -- and a
>clear distinction between meta informatoin (attributes)
>and content information.  Very nice.

<rant>
The notion that elements are for information whilst
attributes are for meta-information is, IMO, bogus.

Yes there are XML applications where attributes are
used to "talk about" elements but I have seen, and
created, many XML/SGML applications where this is
not so.
</rant>

regards,

<Sean uri="http://www.digitome.com/sean.html">
Developers Day co-Chair WWW9, April 2000, Amsterdam
<uri>http://www.www9.org</uri>
</Sean>