[SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

Sebastien Sahuc ssahuc at imediation.com
Tue Nov 30 11:04:38 GMT 1999

> From: Clark C. Evans [mailto:clark.evans at manhattanproject.com]
> I do find a simple binary split to give insight and act
> as a great guide for organizing information:
>
>    Attributes:
>
>      The rules, directives, instructions,
>      which individually mean nothing in the
>      current context, but taken together give
>      structure to the element.  In particuar,
>      these act as "instructions" to the
>      processor which acts on the xml, configuring
>      the processor so that it knows how to
>      handle the incoming content.  This information
>      is targeted at the target program, not
>      the final consumer.

I Completely agree with this guideline since I expect attribute to add
behaviours to elements. Indeed when you need some action to be
performed on behalf the element like making an element stateful
(ID="...") for further reference (IDREF="..."), or to differenciate
two elements with a -kind of CSS- 'class' atribute instead of
encapsulating these elements into other elements.
On contrary elements act as content.

>    Content:
>
>      Those components, which, in the current
>      frame of reference, have individual value
>      and are seperable from the whole.  In
>      particualar, these act as "data" to the
>      processor -- the information to be processed.
>      This inforamation is targeted to the
>      final consumer.
>
> Anyway, to me the distinction is all too clear and
> it is also irritating when people don't seem to see
> it as I do

Not only irritating but also hazardous, since I agree I don't use that
much attributes, but when I do, it really makes sense to use them, and
removing support to attribute frightens me more than anything.

Seb