[SML] Preliminary EBNF v0.2

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 13:09:28 GMT 1999

> CharData  ::= [^<>&]*

What is your base character set from which you are removing the special
characters. It isn't clear to me whether you were intending just ascii
characters or all XML characters (up to #10FFFFFF) or all UCS-4
characters.

If you are allowing non ascii characters why do you allow
CharCode ::= '&' ('#x' [0-9A-F]+
it is superfluous to allow `&#xA4;' if you can enter the character `$'
directly, and the same for any other unicode character. You only need
the &#x notation if you intend to keep the character data 7 bit.

This is not a rhetorical question, I can't tell which you intend
from your description.

David