Web Architecture

Jelks Cabaniss jelks at jelks.nu
Tue Nov 30 20:34:56 GMT 1999

Robert La Quey wrote:

> >Judging from some of the posts, maybe their authors think that the  XML WG
> >is like Copernicus and that Don, with SML, is more like Kepler???
>
> Yes, nice point, so we might say:
>
> SGML:XML:SML <=> Ptolemy:Copernicus:Kepler

Except Ptolemy lived in the 2nd century, Copernicus the 16th, and Kepler the
17th.  SGML was formalized in 1986; XML a year and a half ago.  I know we're
living in Internet Time, but isn't this "simplification" movement throwing out
the XML Baby with the bath water a tad premature?

No doubt XML and her siblings *will* be simplified some day.  Maybe they'll even
drop the most confusing of them -- Namespaces -- and replace them with (gasp!)
attributes. ...

/Jelks