XML Parser in Servlet causes exception

Lars George lgeorge at gmx.net
Tue Oct 5 05:41:21 BST 1999

Hi,

I tried to use the Sun's XML-Parser to create XML structures on the fly. I
copied the code of the DOM example and tried to execute it inside a servlet.
I get the following message:

The servlet named invoker at the requested URL
http://larsgeorge_01:8080/servlet/ParamXml
reported this exception: com/sun/xml/tree/ParentNode. Please report this to
the administrator of the web server.

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: com/sun/xml/tree/ParentNode at
ParamXml.doGet(ParamXml.java:23) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:715) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.ServletState.callService(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.ServletManager.callServletService(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.http.servlet.InvokerServlet.service(Compiled Code) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.ServletState.callService(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.ServletManager.callServletService(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.ProcessingState.invokeTargetServlet(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.http.HttpProcessingState.execute(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.http.stages.Runner.process(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.ProcessingSupport.process(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.Service.process(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.http.HttpServiceHandler.handleRequest(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.http.HttpServiceHandler.handleRequest(Compiled Code) at
com.sun.server.HandlerThread.run(Compiled Code)

I get the same error message when I try this servlet with Apache and JServ.
The code fails at the following code:

public class ParamXml extends HttpServlet {

  public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
    throws ServletException, IOException, DOMException {

    res.setContentType("text/xml");

    PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();

    XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
    ElementNode root = (ElementNode) doc.createElement("root");

    doc.appendChild(root);

    // THE NEXT LINE CAUSES THE EXCEPTION TO BE RAISED
    root.appendChild(doc.createElement("header"));
    root.appendChild(doc.createTextNode("\n  some data is text\n  "));
    root.appendChild(doc.createElement("footer"));

Please see the marked line above which causes the error. Since this does not
happen in the demo application I think it is the securitymanager of the
servlet engine who does not allow me to do that.

My question: What do I have to do here to make it work?

TIA,
Lars George
Woodgate Research Pty Ltd
Brisbane, Australia