Accessing XML via Javascript?

Eric Bohlman ebohlman at netcom.com
Fri Oct 8 10:49:13 BST 1999

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Paul wrote:

> I have searched several popular sites and the XML-DEV archive for
> any developments on Javascript and XML, but have found very little
> activity in the last many months. I suspect I am looking in the wrong
> place, so I'd appreciate any links!
>
> What I am looking for is a means via javascript to access XML via a
> high-level tagged notation (e.g. foo.bar[i].etc) rather than the
> low-level
> generic navigational style access imposed by DOM.

The W3C is only now beginning formal activity on query languages for XML,
which is really what you're talking about (they held a symposium last
November where various organizations submitted position papers; you can
read them on the W3C site).  People have done implementations of a couple
proposals, chiefly XQL and XML-QL, with more of the former; Microsoft's
DOM implementation handles a subset of XQL in its selectSingleNode method,
which is accessible via JS.

I suspect most people are waiting to see what the W3C will propose, and
were waiting for the XPath specification to stabilize (which it pretty
much has), before putting much effort into actual implementations.