AttributeList in C++ SAX

Steinar Bang sb at metis.no
Tue Oct 12 13:15:46 BST 1999

> The good thing about my string as argument alternative is the
> possibility for minimizing string copies.  I can UTF-8 decode
> directly into the string I use all the way into callback class
> arguments (ie. one copy may be enough).

And this still is valid for my use of the attributes.

However, my reasons for "going SAX" was to be able at one point, to
throw away my own SAX implementation, or use a different parser
altogether (e.g. to one supporting namespace expansion, and/or one
doing validation).

And at last count 2 out of 4 existing C++ SAX implementations were
returning "const string&".  One of the two even had customers using
the SAX API, so returning "const string&" is what I'll do as well.