scripts and PIs

Thomas B. Passin tpassin at idsonline.com
Fri Oct 15 14:22:49 BST 1999

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

 > So, in the case of SCRIPT in HTML, I think it should be an element
> not a PI.  There is no special processing that a PI invokes at the
> point of its declaration in an HTML document.

Generally, I agree that a SCRIPT could (should) be an element.  But some
script languages or even statements require specific formatting.  For
example, a Javascript single-line comment must not wrap; some Python code
depends on specific indenting; etc.  I can imagine that a processor, finding
a PI at that point, would preserve the special formatting where otherwise it
would not.  Of course, the processor could simply know to preserve
formatting when it hits a <SCRIPT> element.

If the processor is XSLT, SCRIPT elements with "<" and "&" characters can be
output properly for HTML (according to the more recent drafts of XSLT), so
here we don't need PIs or CDATA either.

Tom Passin