Who needs XHTML Namespace?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Sep 1 14:57:58 BST 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> Paul Prescod writes:
>
>  > What is the virtue in discovering XHTML data in an arbitrary
>  > document if there are *no rules* about what that information will
>  > look like? Are you really going to write processors that do not
>  > care whether images occur within titles or tables within images?
>
> Sure -- a search engine is a very good example of one.

Really? Search engines don't care whether <title>s have images in them?
Or whether <h1>'s have <table>'s in them? I'm sure that there are some
that don't but I'm equally sure that there are some that do.

You didn't address my main point: XHTML mixed with other namespaces is
not ready for prime time. There is no definition of conformance for
either documents or processors. Until it is ready for prime time
namespaces are superflurous. They don't tell you anything you couldn't
have got from the DOCTYPE.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)