Why namespaces?

Miles Sabin msabin at cromwellmedia.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 15:41:19 BST 1999

Paul Prescod wrote,
> Therefore if the validator sees two elements as
> distinct then the application needs to know that so it
> can know what input structure it should expect.

Apologies for taking this out of context, but I can't
agree with the general point you seem to be making
here. I can't see any reason why an *application*
couldn't want to treat distinct elements as equivalent
for its *application-level* purposes.

In those cases an application might well prefer that
a lower level validation layer *not* propagate
distinctions which are relevant to validation. Maybe
all it'd want is a yea or nay on validity (which is
enough to guarantee that its getting its expected
input structure) and a stream of possibly equivalence-
class-munged elements and character data.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                          Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect           5/6 Glenthorne Mews

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)