XML parser using lex & yacc

Alastair Sumner als2000 at postmaster.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 16:43:14 BST 1999

I want to develop an XML parser in C or maybe C++ for an undergraduate university project. My approach will be to prototype the parser using flex and bison. As I understand it, flex won't be able to handle all of the character encodings required in the the 1.0 spec. Therefore my approach will then be to rewrite the lexer by hand to support the different character encodings. Has anyone taken a similar approach? Is it feasible? Also, is the XML EBNF an LR grammar so that yacc/bison can handle it?

Cheers
Alastair Sumner

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)