Consensus and Petition for XHTML Namespaces

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Thu Sep 2 07:30:41 BST 1999

If I am guessing correctly, everyone is sick of all the discussions on the
XHTML Namespace(s) issue.

I think it is time to find out if there is enough consensus against multiple
XHTML namespaces.  If there a substantial consensus, I propose that we
submit a formal petition to the Director of W3C, Tim Berners-Lee, to return
the document for work at the working draft stage, with a request to the
editors to use single XHTML namespace instead of three.  Whether he follows
'our recommendation' for a change or not depends on whether he wants to
widen the controversy from XHTML to W3C.

The reason I am proposing for a formal petition is that I believe the W3C
process as it stands now has broken down, if not in general then at least in
this particular case.  It is the Director of the W3C who makes the decision
on whether to approve Recommendations, a judge of sort.  If the Director has
a preconceived bias on a critical issue, he can not make a fair decision.  I
believe that the Director is biased against single XHTML namespace.  This is
not the way a standards committee should work, not even behind the Iron
Curtain.

The action I am proposing will create a new precedence in the W3C 'process'
and I am certain that it will be a good one.  Yes, I am biased on that
point.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com