Why namespaces?

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 2 20:27:26 BST 1999

Mark Birbeck wrote:

> So, how else do you make the distinction? You can't use DTDs if the
> XHTML is inside another doc - so what else?

But "XHTML inside another doc" is the very combining of vocabularies
(modularization etc) that XHTML 1.0 isn't intended to address.

In fact the XHTML PR (gaak) talks only about XHTML "documents" in all
places I saw when I just re-scanned it.  Only document and user agent
conformance is defined.  That sort of vocabulary combining isn't part
of the first release.

You can't use the notion of an XHTML "module" as the motivation for
a feature, when that feature isn't supposed to be part of XHTML.

- Dave

p.s. As a concrete answer to the "how do you make the distinction",
	the answer is to declare the rules you're using to combine
	those various namespaces.  A million different sets of rules?
	Quite easily.  Not a million namespaces for a long time.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)