schema v. validation spec, content models considered bad (was Re: XHTML & Schemas)

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Fri Sep 3 08:45:28 BST 1999

Rick,

I completely agree with your conclusion.  DTD sucks, XML-Schema is only
marginally better, we need something more flexible.  You might be interested
in reading an interesting paper Dave Raggett (the HTML 4.0, Tidy guy) wrote
that includes your 'parent model' idea.  The paper is at:

http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/dtdgen/Docs/

I wouldn't mind having this 'Assertion Grammars' replace the current
XML-Schema proposal.  Frankly, I am tired of tip-toeing around what W3C
thinks is the right way of doing things.

I had a great time reading it and I am sure it will definitely shake some of
you up.  It is a must read for everyone.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)