weekend reading - distributed XML development

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Fri Sep 3 22:58:44 BST 1999

Simon St.Laurent writes:

 > After XML Developer Days in Montreal, my head's been buzzing with
 > ideas about the prospect of a very different approach to XML
 > vocabulary and application development than the committee model
 > that is typically presented as the 'best' approach now.  It's part
 > 'worse is better', part 'let users think for themselves', and part
 > 'so how can we harness this anarchy and make it productive?'

I should mention that this was one of the main reasons that I
supported the idea of Namespaces: since they are built on URIs, they
allow *anyone* with Web space (or even an e-mail address) to create a
globally-unique Namespace, and many of those, I imagine, will be used
for inline markup in HTML documents.

The idea of Namespaces is to decentralize the design effort, just as
Simon would like, and then to let the market consolidate around what
end up looking like the most important (and promising) proposals.

There's an opportunity for a whole different, bottom-up process here,
somewhat similar to what happens in the business world with the
deregulation of the utilities and phone companies (put a windmill in
your backyard and start selling power to the grid).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/