Consensus and Community (W3C and xml-dev)

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 4 22:04:01 BST 1999

Don Park wrote:
> Mark Nutter wrote:
> >I hope the flow of information isn't impeded by anybody
> >feeling that they have to watch what they say.
>
> It is worse than that.  Have you noticed that most, if not all, of the
> participants in this discussion are 'independents'?  I don't see anyone from
> Microsoft or Sun jumping up and down over this issue.

You don't see most folk with official roles at W3C saying very
much here at all on this issue, that is, ...

> The effects are clear, but the cause is confidential.

... the reason being those W3C member confidentiality agreements.
Which easily mask all manner of shady dealings, without needing to
even be called "conspiracy".  (Though we really do need some good
muckraking journalism coverage of W3C lately!!)

That is, it's specifically those who know what's going on best
who are "impeded" by knowing they "have to watch what they say".

- Dave

p.s. With respect to XHTML, it'd be easy enough to do a better
	job (i.e. fix the broken bits) ... but the hard part is
	to get a browser to support it.  Luckily there's source
	to Mozilla -- a "one namespace" solution for that part
	of the world doesn't seem wholly outrageous if there
	exists a concrete proposal.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)