Namespaces in XML and XHTML

joubin joubin at inch.com
Mon Sep 6 03:08:55 BST 1999

Jon,

Your paper was lucid and informative.  However, it is silent on why (xml)
namespaces are not (or should not be) hierarchical.   Do you wish to
elaborate on this aspect of namespaces?

An abstract space doesn't necessarily have to be flat; and structured space
intrinsically implies _nothing more_ than a formal relationship between its
subsets.

[In line with your reasoning regarding "abstract spaces", I refer you to the
space of the Rationals, which is of course formally related to space of
Integers; a relationship which some folks have found to be of some utility.]

>(Whether names have real existence is an interesting [question ... which]
>has *already* received some attention.) [*emphasis is mine*]

The School of Symbols and Numerology (China, Zhou Dynasty, ~240 BC) :-)

Best Regards,

Joubin
member, alpha zero LLC              202.462.1655                   dc

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)