XHTML Brouhaha and a ? Question ?

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Mon Sep 6 05:46:54 BST 1999

Christopher Lane wrote:

> OK, here's my question. In Saturday's newspaper (Seattle Times-Post
> Intelligencer) I found an article on the front page of the business
> section stating that the XML standard was "in trouble" and "will
> certainly be delayed" because, and I'm quoting from memory here,
> "European companies will never agree to the standard as written."  I
> haven't seen any comment in this group about what may have caused such
> an outburst in the press.  I wondered if anyone here had any insight
> into what this latest imbroglio may be all about.

I would guess that it's all about lines of copy for a newspaper story. The secret is to find
the credible stories amongst the drivel. Three easy points are:

a)  it's not a standard, it's a recommendation,

b)  it has already been released as version 1.0 and AFAIK there are no plans for version 2.0.

c)  by nature XML is internationalised, certainly much more than SGML ever was. I would be
surprised if there were substantial issues that coincided strongly with political borders.

Write it off as another poorly researched article.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc at allette.com.au
       - Einstein