XHTML Brouhaha and a ? Question ?

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 6 08:10:30 BST 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 07:39 PM 9/5/99 -0700, Christopher Lane wrote:
> >OK, here's my question. In Saturday's newspaper (Seattle Times-Post
> >Intelligencer) I found an article on the front page of the business
> >section stating that the XML standard was "in trouble"
>
> After a little work, I found the URL:
>
>   http://www.seattle-pi.com/pi/national/net04.shtml
>
> It's about RosettaNet. -Tim

Interesting. At least one fact was wrong, making me believe
that'd be true of some more.  RosettaNet has been around for
quite a bit longer than they said; perhaps they're confusing a
website launch with the organization's birth a few years ago.

That fact puts a very different spin on things -- namely, it
is presented as if CTIA is objecting to something very new,
not to something that's been in process for several years and
which they had to have known about for some time.

That whole big about privacy is bogus -- it's not like XML
is the only technology by which ill-intentioned companies
will exchange data about customers which don't want it done.

Ditto the issue about needing a D&B number -- it's not like
whatever European companies use in its place couldn't get
added to the spec, if desired.  Time before February, yep.
Plenty of time.  If resolving the issue were in fact a goal.

I'm suspecting that the group that's objecting is just after
negotiating power.  Anyone who knows more about the CTIA,
"based in Chicago", and its true intent (any particular
corporate alliances?), please illuminate us!

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)