an unfilled need

Brendan McKenna brendan at w3s.ie
Mon Sep 6 17:48:33 BST 1999

Hi,

David Megginson wrote:

: Perhaps an example would help.  Here's an XML document (without
: Namespaces for now):
:
:   <bllrp zata="-1">
:    <poiuk>112</poiuk>
:    <pppzzz>g</pppzzz>
:   </bllrp>
:
: Now, imagine that my XML application has just received this piece of
: XML and knows nothing about the markup language used.  What kind of
: information should it be able to discover automatically, so that it
: can process this document usefully?
:

	I would say that that depended on the application.  However, a
'general' XML browser -- in the sense that Netscape or IE are 'general' HTML
browsers -- would need to be able to discover a means of validating the
document -- whether it's one or more Schema's or DTD's is irrelevant -- and a
stylesheet for displaying it, or take some 'appropriate' action (such as
displaying the source in a 'raw' form) in the absence of one.

							Brendan

--
Brendan McKenna
Technical Director			Phone: +353-(0)61-338177 x4143
Innovation Centre			Email: brendan at w3s.ie
National Technological Park
Limerick
Ireland