Crazy idea

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Sep 6 18:56:42 BST 1999

This "stylesheet as schema" idea comes around every so often but I think
that it has one major flaw: stylesheets cannot drive syntax directed
editors.

> - XSLT is be "too strong". After all, it is Turing complete.
>
> XSchemas are already stronger then DTDs, for a good reason, so this might be
> an advantage. Otherwise, it might be useful to define a subset of XSLT to
> use in "schema" stylesheets.

>From a mathematical point of view, I don't think that XSchemas are much
stronger than DTDs. The set of tag-based languages they can describe are
pretty much the same. The XSLT set of languages would be radically
different. What's the XSLT equivalent for this content model:

On the other hand there are constraints that XSLT could support that
schemas probably could not.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)