XML through XSL to HTML translation

mgl at cereus7.com mgl at cereus7.com
Tue Sep 7 01:53:55 BST 1999

Hi there XML/XSL folks,

I have a need to generate HTML pages (for 4.x and above browsers) and would
like to mainly author in HTML but would like to use XML for data storage
and XSL to "insert" the XML data into the HTML code.  The problem I'm
facing at this point is that there seems (a) no tools for creating XSL
style sheets that emit HTML (without hand coding the entire HTML, i.e.
<BODY>  etc., etc.) nnd/or (b) No existing tools for encoding HTML
with data references as an XSL style sheet automatically.

My current thoughts are to author the HTML and then go back and put
comments into the HTML that specify where the data extracted from the XML
should go and then translate (somehow) that HTML document into an XSL style
sheet so that when I use XML + XSL the result becomes well formed HTML.

As there is currently (as far as I can find) one browser (IE5) that
supports XSL directly and many of my target systems are non-MS-using
companies, just using XSL (via IE5) is not an answer.

If this has previously been discussed to death, I appologize and humbly ask
someone to send me the results / post-mortem or whatever.  If not, I'd love
to hear anyone with tools, ideas and/or alternatives.

Regards,

Michael Lehman
System Architect
Cereus Design Corp.