an unfilled need

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Tue Sep 7 07:23:54 BST 1999

 >On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Matthew Gertner wrote:
>
>> No one objected to the W3C controlling XML at the onset because it
was
>> far from a foregone conclusion that XML was win over a number of
>> plausible (but in retrospect clearly inferior) approaches. Now XML is
>> mainstream and this no longer flies.

>  > Lack of complete buyin (not to mention open hostility)  from XML
>  >developers is certainly not in the W3C's interest, and only opens
the
> > way for Microsoft and other major players to step in with their own
> > proprietary (and inevitably less well thought out) approaches.

I disagree on both counts.  Firstly, W3C does not control XML to the
extent that they can control other syntaxes, because XML is SGML.
Secondly, I think that if Microsoft made a successor to XML, it is quite
possible it could be better than XML is, learning from experience. If
Microsoft cares to give me a million dollars, I am prepared to develop
such a thing!

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)