Namespace for HTML (Signup Here)

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Tue Sep 7 17:42:02 BST 1999

David and Tim,

Sorry about misrepresenting your 'pleas' (see below) to the HTML WG as
proposals to XML-DEV.  Frankly, I am too much of an ego maniac to even
consider begging an unreasonable group to make a reasonable decision.  While
I am certain that not all of the HTML WG members are unreasonable, I can not
ignore the decision of the whole nor the hand of 'god' that took part in its
unraveling decision.

I took the initiative on the Namespace for HTML issue because it is less
violent than asking W3C to disband the HTML WG and try again.  It was less
impossible than expecting W3C to reorganize itself.  Will the HTML WG
suddenly see the light?  I prefer not to hold my breath in suspense and wait
helplessly.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse

<author name="David Megginson">
If MS and Netscape/Mozilla both buy into the same Namespace URI, then
it won't much matter what the W3C says, but I'd still like to hope
that the XHTML WG will give us a URI -- even just a NOTE with the line

  The XML Namespace URI for HTML is "http://www.w3.org/Markup/".

would help prevent the nightmarish interoperability problems that are
coming up.  If we had this, I'd be willing to wait a while for XHTML
proper.
</author>

<author name="Tim Bray">
"Hmm, I observe that the namespace name hardwired to the prefix "xml:" is

 http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace

(amusing, since the namespace spec is dated January 1999).  Anyhow, I
seem to recall that Dan Connolly cooked this up on behalf of the W3C and
there was a real good reason which I unfortunately forget for having a
date in there.

So by analogy, a candidate namespace name for HTML would be

 http://www.w3.org/HTML/1999/namespace

And yes, a one-line NOTE on www.w3.org/TR would do the job.  Hey there,
HTML WG, any chance?  If you pick a URI, we all promise not to complain
about what it is.  Right, guys?
</author>

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)