why distinctions within XHTML?

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Wed Sep 8 01:02:19 BST 1999

At 04:43 PM 9/7/99 -0600, roddey at us.ibm.com wrote:

>>Somebody did the basic math in a comment:  three variants of XHTML will
>>very quickly add an order of magnitude to the complexity of the systems
>>built with it.  That's a deterrent to the use of XHTML, and discards the
>>simplification that's long been at the core of the XML movement.
>>

>Does not the 'X' in XHTML pretty much mean that technically there should
be no
>'non-strict' version? I mean if its HTML, its HTML. But, if its XML, then it
>needs to be well formed XML.

Nothing in the transitional and frameset flavors of XHTML 1.0 equate to not
being well formed.

If I correctly understand that to be your concern, it appears to not be an
issue.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Coming in September --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes