ANN: XML and Databases article

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Wed Sep 8 19:13:23 BST 1999

Ronald Bourret writes:

 > (In this sense, the XML information set has much in common with groves, as
 > it is a property set. Similarly, the DOM could be viewed as an API for a
 > grove.  The XML information set is not a grove because [why? The only
 > reason I can think of is that it is not been expressed in grove
 > notation].

I'm not aware of anything that would prevent the Infoset from being
described in Grove notation.  There aren't many people alive who
actually know Groves (we couldn't all fit in a Cessna, but we probably
could squeeze into a Dash-8 with a few empty seats), so it had no real
familiarity advantage.

By the way, for a database-like XML thingy, see

  http://www.megginson.com/DATAX/

The DATAX interfaces can be used on top of an RDBM as easily as they
can on top of the default in-memory data structures.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/