Layers, again (was Re: fixing (just) namespaces and validation)

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Wed Sep 8 23:28:24 BST 1999

Simon St.Laurent writes:

 > >There was no warning, however, that DTD syntax might change.
 >
 > I think you're overestimating the syntax changes being described.
 > A PI would be ignored by parsers that didn't understand it, and
 > james anderson's suggestion of interpreting attribute declarations
 > makes even less impact.  (I don't think that one will necessarily
 > work, however.)

My fault: I didn't realise that your proposed changes used only PIs.
I'm not sure that I see how the documents could still be valid from
the XML 1.0 perspective, though, and if not, the new documents would
still be backwards incompatible with some (many?) existing XML 1.0
implementations.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com