RFP: Namespace URI for HTML

Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer schnitz at overflow.de
Thu Sep 9 17:06:30 BST 1999

Hi,

> > 0) "hell://no.stinking.namespace/4/HTML"
> > 1) "http://www.w3.org/Markup/" - by David Megginson
> > 2) "http://www.w3.org/HTML/1999/namespace" - by Tim Bray
> > 3) "http://www.w3.org/HTML/2000/Namespace" - by Don Park (I like zeros :)
> > 4) "http://www.xml.org/HTML/2000/Namespace" - (if Jon Bosak agrees)
> > 5) "http://www.w3.org/Namespace/HTML/" - by Don Park (2nd try)
>
> 6) Like 2/3/4, but change 1999 or 2000 to 19991225 (or as appropriate).  How
> very hopeful indeed, to assume that there will never be the need for more than
> one version in a year.  As it is, I can't be sure that the time of day shouldn't
> be included as well - who knows what "Web time" will mean to developers in 5 or
> 10 years time ...
>
> Actually, I really prefer the 3-namespaces idea: Strict, Transitional, etc.

I'm very surprised that the list does not include the current
approach taken by the HTML WG. This poll seems to suggest that
one namespace for every flavor of XHTML is the only right choice. I
agree with Tony and others who consider 3 namespaces as a
possible solution.

XHTML 1.0 strict: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/strict
XHTML 1.0 transitional: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/transitional
XHTML 1.0 frameset: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/frameset