ANN: XML and Databases article

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Sep 9 19:45:20 BST 1999

Ingo Macherius wrote:

> The other problem is you can store XML, but
> have to explicitely model relations (parent, sibling, child, ... and
> all other axis you need) by foreign keys. The number of "metatables"
> with structural information quickly outnumbers the useful data. Again
> we tried, benched and canceled.

Did you investigate OLAP techniques (cubes, coordinates) as a means to
model the trees?

I agree that flat table modeling via metatables
does get difficult but I did not see it outnumbering the useful
data.  It is awkward.  OTOH, it is one way to get the system
running on cheap desktop systems.  My guess is, it doesn't
scale well and with the advent or rich datatypes and hyperlinks
as data objects, it isn't all that useful except when the
embedded renderer is the browser object.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)