DOM and Grove

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Sep 9 19:45:04 BST 1999

Correct.  Not just possible; it's happening.

This is precisely what the IETM community
faced in the late eighties and early nineties.  The
answer was to convert everything to HTML to get the
job done.  Now they have to convert again.  Every time
that is done, the costs recur and the information gets a
little more damaged.

While it is hard on some to understand
terms like "notation", it is vital to understand what
Paul is saying.  This is where everything stopped.
This where CALS broke down.  This is where the
war was lost and the shaky structure known as the
World Wide Web emerged a winner because no two
ISO committee heads could agree.

Study the history of CGM.  Look at the relentless
duplication of the effort of SGML for reasons I
still cannot fathom.  Note how SGML was blamed.
Look at what is happening
in other notations being invented today for graphics.
Note the deliberate duplication of effort spent trying
to keep separate syntaxes.  Note how XML is blamed.

Study groves.  Write the simplified explanations
if you need them.  You do need them.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)