Namespaces in XML and XHTML

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Fri Sep 10 07:52:17 BST 1999

Jon Bosak wrote:
> ------------------------------
> What are namespaces all about?
> ------------------------------
>
> Namespaces are about unique identification; they are not about
> meaning.  Identification is necessary to the establishment of meaning,
> but it does not constitute meaning in itself.
>
> [followed by a long discussion to the point that namespaces govern identity in the
>  encoding and decoding process only and leading to the following conclusions: ]
>
> -------------------------------------
> Should XHTML use multiple namespaces?
> -------------------------------------

>  - The main argument for specifying three namespaces for XHTML rests
>    on the assumption that there is a one-to-one association between
>    namespaces and schemas.  This is not true.

as established above, it is also insignificant.

>  - A second argument for specifying three namespaces is that it's
>    intended to indicate that XHTML actually specifies three different
>    tag languages and that <h2> in one of these languages means
>    something basically different from <h2> in the other two.  In my
>    opinion, <h2> means basically the same thing in all three
>    versions. ...
>    ...  If the HTML WG decides to maintain the position that
>    XHTML is defining three different languages, then it should be
>    ready to explain how an <h2> in one would materially differ in
>    meaning from an <h2> in another, "meaning" here being expressed in
>    terms of the intention of the person who causes elements to have
>    the type "h2."

which is also, as established above, insignificant.

>  - Another way of making what I believe to be essentially the same
>    point is that distinctions between a strict <h2> and a
>    transitional <h2> are not reflected in actual machine processing
>    outside of validation.

which decides the issue. as the namespaces are about unambiguously identifying
the encoded specifications for the validation, it is appropriate to make
adequate distinctions.
? is it specified somewhere that the various XHTML forms will never appear in
the same document?

>  - If XHTML really is several languages and the similarly named
>    elements of those languages really are different from each other,
>    then those different languages are going to require different HTML
>    DOMs.

i don't understand this one: if the variants are in different namespaces, then
elements of each could well be mixed in the same dom instance. isn't that the
point of the whole thing?

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)