confidentiality in W3C WGs

Reynolds, Gregg greynolds at datalogics.com
Fri Sep 10 17:01:31 BST 1999

The situation you describe certainly could happen, but I respectfully submit
that the possibility of such situations arising would be a very bad reason
indeed for the confidentiality agreement, at least from the perspective of
the "web community".  The W3C should not provide a cloak of secrecy for
companies who do not want to cooperate or who subvert the standards process
for their own ends.  Of course, we can take it as axiomatic that private,
for-profit corporations will do everything they can to use the W3C to their
advantage, and to the detremint of their competitors - that's their job,
after all.  All the more reason to insist on openness and candor.

Openness would make it that much harder for those dastardly journalists to
distort the facts.

I also strongly disagree with the notion that the W3C WG structure removes
politics from the equation.  The smoky back room doesn't go away.  Companies
can and no doubt do still hold private discussions.  W3C secrecy hasn't
changed this, and openness wouldn't either.

The only place I can see for secrecy is in the vote itself.

Sincerely,

Gregg  (These are my personal opinions only, and don't necessarily reflect
those of anybody on the XSL WG nor of my employer.)

mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following