Groves, the next big thing (Re: ANN: XML and Databases article)

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Fri Sep 10 18:04:17 BST 1999

Paul,

What you are saying about groves makes great deal of sense and makes me want
to rush out and buy it.  So where is it?  Does it come in a nice shrinkwrap
box and have glitzy GUI to wow me?  Will it have a wall full of books like
DHTML at the local bookstore for Grove worshipers?  Will my friends me bug
me with questions like "how do I make my web page do fancy things with
TheGroves?"  If I post a job wanted ad saying "Groves programmer wanted",
will there be thousands of applicants?  How should I staff large Grove
projects?  How do I explain it all to corporate nullheads without sounding
like a man from mantraland?

What if they pin me down and screams into my ears "So what the hell is this
Grove thing?  My teenage daughter wants to know!  Now!  And don't use any
mumbo jumbo words like property sets or I'll slap you silly."

DOM might be awkward and incoherent but common people can definitely wrap
their brain around it.  Probably around half a million people already have
while learning to enhance their web pages using DHTML.  What you are saying
about groves makes it sounds like some unified theory of information
management but I think common people would rather chew rock than theory.  If
I walk down the street and tell people that everything is made out of quarks
and that the quarks are beautiful and elegant, they will drop a quarter in
my coffee cup.

The bus has come and gone.  While groves dance in my head like swimming suit
models, DOM is in the kitchen and making my breakfast.  Heck, I am all for
groves.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com