Groves, the next big thing (Re: ANN: XML and Databases article)

schen at falconwing.com schen at falconwing.com
Fri Sep 10 19:23:33 BST 1999

Hi Don, everyone,

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Don Park wrote:

> Paul,
>
> What you are saying about groves makes great deal of sense and makes me want
> to rush out and buy it.  So where is it?  Does it come in a nice shrinkwrap
> box and have glitzy GUI to wow me?  Will it have a wall full of books like
> DHTML at the local bookstore for Grove worshipers?  Will my friends me bug
> me with questions like "how do I make my web page do fancy things with
> TheGroves?"  If I post a job wanted ad saying "Groves programmer wanted",
> will there be thousands of applicants?  How should I staff large Grove
> projects?  How do I explain it all to corporate nullheads without sounding
> like a man from mantraland?
>
> What if they pin me down and screams into my ears "So what the hell is this
> Grove thing?  My teenage daughter wants to know!  Now!  And don't use any
> mumbo jumbo words like property sets or I'll slap you silly."

[ ... ]

1,$s/grove/XML/gc

So did you say the same thing when XML came out? =)

If groves will solve problems that people are already encountering with
XML, then it's day will come.  For example, relational DB-XML mapping,
IDL-XML mapping, XML-object mapping, etc. etc.

In my mind it's not much more than a more rigorous definition of the XML
data model, with the potential application to other data models.  Maybe
what we need is something between DOM and full-fledged groves.  Just as
XML is taking off as a simpler version of SGML, how about a simplified
version of groves?

. . . Sean.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)