enumeration and defaults

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Sep 10 23:30:03 BST 1999

At 04:34 PM 9/10/99 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>I've found myself in a somewhat odd situation, where I'd like to be able to
>include empty (i.e., no value) as a choice in a list of enumerated
>possibilities.  It doesn't seem possible.  (Empty is not a token.)

Right - and I agree that this does seem like something reasonable to want.

>>From 3.3.2
>> #IMPLIED [means] that no default value is provided.

This is a little different from SGML.  The wording in the SGML standard
that describes what #IMPLIED means is really hard to understand, something
about the attribute being "implied" by the software.  In SGML parsers,
the effect was that the parser told you about missing #IMPLIED attributes
(this element could have had a FOO attribute but doesn't), and in early
drafts of the XML spec we had language requiring XML processors to do the
same thing.  On reflection, we took it out, and decided that #IMPLIED
really means that if the attribute isn't there, it just isn't there,
that's all.  (#REQUIRED says it has to be there, and the presence of a
default value covers the missing case in another way).  Of course, an
attribute being absent is obviously different from it being present with
an empty-string value.

So I'd say that XML DTDs more or less can't do what I think Simon is
trying to do here.  If there are some strong use-cases, someone should
bombard the Schema WG with them so that next-gen schemas have this
hole filled.  -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)