W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Sun Sep 12 06:49:03 BST 1999

From: David Megginson <david at megginson.com>
 >The reliance on text is important for accessibility -- both
>visually-impaired people can have text read to them by software, while
>hearing-impaired people can read it; diagrams don't work as nicely.

On the other hand, text reduces comprehensibility for people for whom
English is the second language, and even for those of us who have more
graphical imaginations. I think these outweigh the number of
visually-impaired, but of course, there is no reason why both graphics
and text cannot proivde alternatives.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)