MSXML for Java Questions

Erik James Freed ejfreed at infocanvas.com
Mon Sep 13 17:43:47 BST 1999

Hi Marko,
Actually I tried very hard not to 'advise' you, but did suggest that
you be cautious when using the datachannel parser which is the
pure java version of IE5's XML and XSL capabilities. This match between
IE5 and DC is it's best feature for those who want identical server and
browser processing. (I have not tested how identical it really is)

I do not know much about the reliability of the IE5 XML/XSL. The reliability
of the datachannel parser is very low, and is not apparently going to
improve
anytime soon. There are serious bugs in the product, as admitted by
datachannel
after having simple code fragments sent to them. It also fails the majority
of
tests in the OASIS/NIST conformance tests. They are not exactly responsive
these problems. The most serious bug, where they were inserting NULLs and
removing
white space where entity references were used, made it impossible for us to
use,
and we had to port off of it at the last minute under great pressure. There
only
offer of help was to *maybe* do something once I gave them $5,000. This
seemed
more like blackmail than real interest in their users. As I said earlier,
they
are within their rights to charge, but the way that they are doing it is not
confidence inspiring. Perhaps you can understand why I am not so happy with
DC :-)

Right now I am up and running on the IBM XML, Lotus XSLT/XPath environment.
So
far so good. It has full source, good licensing terms, responsive authors
and support infrastructure, so I feel like it is going to be good value when
have to start paying for it. It does fail alot of the conformance tests, but
they
seem to be related to a small number of faults creating a global failures.
And
with source, you can always fix them yourself.

Oracle's XML/XSLT product I have heard is good, but the licensing terms make
it
impossible to use for us. Sun's XML parser is excellent, but has no XSL/XSLT
support.

There are others, noble efforts with less resources and support. I have not
tried them
because for one reason or another, I found them not a match for our
requirements.

YMMV -more info can be found starting at the XML/XSL links found on
http://www.w3.org .

good luck,

erik