On the record? (was Re: Random thought)

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Mon Sep 13 20:02:06 BST 1999

At 01:36 PM 9/13/99 -0400, David Megginson wrote:

This is another one of those situations where (as someone else said on the
list) we must "read for comprehension".

What *can be done* (technologically, amorally, etc) , and *what is legal to
do without permission* differ.

>Furthermore, in the U.S., you could probably argue that many of us --
>especially those who write books, speak at conferences, or are
>involved in the W3C -- qualify as "public figures", which (thanks to
>Larry Flynt) means that people can quote us and even viciously parody
>us with immunity.

There is no such thing as "quote us...with immunity". Fair use only goes so
far, even with "public figures". There are limits to everything.

That said, this really isn't the forum for an extended argument on copyright.

If anyone is seriously expecting a titillating expose  to come out of this
"hot tip" that's going to "bring down XHTML" and those dastardly "rigid and
unreasonable" W3C and HTML WG people , I dare say you're going to be deeply
disappointed (based on current feedback from the reporter involved).

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Coming in September --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes