On the record? (was Re: Random thought)

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Sep 14 04:30:18 BST 1999

Ronald Bourret wrote:

> Oh, boy! I've always wanted to be a public figure!  (I gave a presentation
> at an HL-7 user's group meeting once.  Does that qualify me?)  And how do I
> go about getting viciously parodied with immunity?  Sounds exciting.

Was it Nirvana that said, "You know you've made it when Weird Al
Yankovich
parodies you?"

I've seen quotes pulled from emails from years ago show up in
signatures.
Love it.  Write for markupBytes and become NetHeros.

If the reporter doesn't think a story is emerging, that reporter
could be missing the wave.  Seems to me a pretty interesting debate
is taking place.

1. Is the XHTML modular draft seriously flawed?  Committee says no;
serious developers say yes.

2. Is the W3C directorship flawed? W3C says no.  MCI says yes.

3. Could smart use of the very technology which the W3C claims
is trademarked and copyright while actually invented some years
earlier be useful to stop the hemmoraging of W3C authority?
Experienced experts say yes.  W3C can't be bothered to comment.

Does all of this erode the credibility of the W3C to create
standards for the single most important communication technologies
of the millenium?   Story at 11.

So much opportunity; so few good reporters.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)