code generation from XML datatype definitions: anyone interested?

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Thu Sep 16 08:52:14 BST 1999

One of the things that's new in FOP 0.10.0 is that the Java source code for
the classes for each XSL property is generated by applying an XSLT transform
to an XML representation of the properties.

This XML representation of the properties is a bit like the datatype
definitions being worked on in the XML Schema WG. This got be thinking about
turning what I've done into a more general solution.

If anyone is interested in working with me on further developing this,
please let me know.

What I'm interested in developing is a tool or tools that take an
augmented[*] datatype definition and produces a Java class or classes that
are capable of representing the datatypes and parse string representations.

[*] I say augmented because I would like to include, in the definition, code
for how different lexical representations of a value get translated into a
"canonical" datatype (for example, different units).

I would like XSL properties to drive the requirements but would like to make
it a general solution. Note that part of what the work I've begun covers is
defaulting, inheritence and the computation of properties from other
properties. I would like to include all this in the scope of this project.

Any takers? I'm going to do it for FOP anyway, but it would be great if
people could work with me to make it a generic solution.

James
--
James Tauber / jtauber at jtauber.com / www.jtauber.com
Maintainer of : www.xmlinfo.com,  www.xmlsoftware.com and www.schema.net