Another look at namespaces

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Thu Sep 16 18:17:21 BST 1999

From: Ann Navarro [mailto:ann at webgeek.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 12:08 PM

> >If the W3C does decide that they want to start putting
> "things" there, it
> >also has to be optional as to whether or not the application
> involved goes
> >to retrieve it.
>
> And that's what he said:
>
> > And this is not mandatory - but is very useful!

This requires some clarification, then.  When I read Mr. Berners-Lee's first
post, I read him to be saying that "this is not mandatory from the
namespaces spec, but could be used by specific XML vocabularies such as
XHTML".  That is, "not every XML vocabulary has to put something at the
namespace URI, but the XHTML vocabulary could decide that it will".  In
which case, I would still state that it should not be mandatory to retrieve
that "thing".

But, if it's not mandatory to retrieve it, then it's up to the application
to decide how to process that vocabulary.  This could be by a cached copy of
the Schema/DTD, or by a hard-coded copy.  (I assume that the latter is what
most web browsers do today.)  And if the application is already deciding how
to process the vocabulary, then it's not much of a stretch to have the
application decide how to deal with strict vs. frameset vs......

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)